This course will focus on the fundamentals of graphic design and working as a graphic designer. Great for those who are starting out and looking to move into the industry or anyone who'd like to supplement their current reading material.
The outcomes for this course will be:
- To demonstrate an understanding of the technical and conceptual skills required to work as a designer, including industry structures, operations, employment obligations and the impact of new technologies.
- Research and analyse design theory and history and apply knowledge to graphic design.
- Explain and discuss the concept for work and work developed as part of a design team.
- Explore and integrate colour, design theories and typography.
- Use design software packages to produce graphic design layouts, including graphic and text elements for print applications.
- Interpret and respond to design briefs to produce graphic solutions.
- Manage time effectively and prepare for entry to the graphic design industry.
During this course you will be building a portfolio to showcase your work to potential clients or employers. We will discuss preparing a digital portfolio and a printed portfolio.
- no lectures added
The only prerequisites for this course is students have access to a computer (Mac or PC) and access to Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro.
This course will start on the 12th November!
If you come through late, don't worry. All material will still be available on the website.
Material will be available VIA the class website, and discussions can be held VIA r/GDClass.
Lesson material may be information sheets, homework tasks, discussion questions, etc.
Lesson 1 - Starting 12th November Taking a Brief
Lesson 2 Typography
Lesson 3 Colour
Lesson 4 Lateral thinking
Lesson 5 Design principles
Lesson 6 Adobe InDesign
Lesson 7 Adobe Illustrator
Lesson 8 Adobe Photoshop
Lesson 9 Adobe Acrobat
Lesson 10 Branding
Lesson 11 Advertising
Lesson 12 Publishing
Lesson 13 Direct Marketing
Lesson 14 Photography Basics
Lesson 15 Image Manipulation
Lesson 16 Photo Retouch
Lesson 17 Pre-press
Lesson 18 Printing
Lesson 19 File Management
Lesson 20 Studio Skills
Lesson 21 Industry Speakers
Lesson 22 Your Portfolio
Lesson 23 Employment
Homework is not mandatory, but it is recommended as it will help you retain the information and skills taught throughout the class.
This course has been put together using my experience in the industry and those who I have worked with. If you have any questions about the material, email me.
Or, if you are a professional designer who'd like to add information you think would be valuable, let me know.
Students will be encouraged to be involved in the class material, ask questions and create discussion.
I have been a graphic designer for 10 years, 8 of those qualified. I have worked in print, apparel and product design and development.
I currently own and operate my own studio, employing two developers and one other designer.